Carla Bailo is one of 19 local women slated to be honored during the Michigan Women’s History Month Leadership in Action Awards on Thursday, March 15, 2018.
February 2018 – Carla Bailo, President, and CEO at The Center for Automotive Research (CAR) in Ann Arbor, MI, has been selected as a member of the 2018 Career Mastered Leaders in Action class. This notable group of 19 metro Detroit area women will be honored for making an impact in their respective career fields.
Carla will be honored at the 4th Annual Women’s History Month Leadership in Action Awards on March 15 at the Roostertail Waterfront Entertainment in Detroit, Michigan. The Awards Evening of Elegance Charity is the highlight of Michigan’s Women’s History Month calendar, and this year’s honorees are exceptional role models of what women can do.
Carla Bailo is a leader in engineering and vehicle program management with 35 years of experience in the automotive industry. In addition to her role as President & CEO at CAR, Carla is the 2016-2018 vice president of automotive for SAE International, a global association of more than 138,000 engineers and related technical experts in the aerospace, automotive and commercial-vehicle industries.
Before joining CAR, Carla was most recently the assistant vice president for mobility research and business development at The Ohio State University. Carla also has 25 years of experience at Nissan North America, Inc., where she served as senior vice president of research and development. She also spent ten years at General Motors.
“Carla is a strong and dynamic leader at a time of unprecedented change in the automotive industry,” said Neil De Koker, Chairman of CAR Board of Directors. “Carla Bailo is a visionary trailblazer who continually serves as a positive role model for other aspiring young women.”
“It is a powerful time to be a woman,” says Dr. Lisa J. Wicker, President & CEO Linwick & Associates and
Career Mastered Visionary. “In alignment with the National Women’s History Month theme, Nevertheless She Persisted, we’re thrilled to honor remarkable women who make a difference each and every day while inspiring future generations.”
Proceeds from the awards dinner directly support Excel Village Center for Learning, a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide career planning for youth at the elementary, junior high and high school levels.
Michigan Class of 2018 Honorees:
Distinguished Leadership Award
- Ora Hirsch Pescovitz, President, Oakland University
- Sharon Madison, CEO, Madison & Madison International
Game Changer Award
- Honorable Deirdre Waterman, Mayor, City of Pontiac, Michigan
Leadership in Action Awards
- Nina Abubakari, CEO, Advantage Health
- Pamela Alexander, Director, Community Development, Ford Motor Company
- Carla Bailo, President & CEO, Center for Automotive Research
- Janice Cosby, Chief Marketing Officer, Ascension Michigan
- Donna Joseph, President DJM Group & President, NAWBO Greater Detroit
- Christine Moore, Executive Vice President and General Auditor, Comerica Bank
- Keisha Risby, Owner, Beautiful Brides
Emerging Leader Awards
- Nailah Ellis Brown, CEO, Ellis Infinity Company
- Kelli Coleman, President & Founder, KM Coleman Group
- Amanda Lewan, Co-Founder, Bamboo Detroit
- Meagan Ward, Owner, Creatively Flawless
Women Supporting Women Group Award
Dare Divas® International, LLC.
- Angenette Frink, Assistant General Counsel for Guardian Industries Holdings, LLC.
- Sheri Hunter, President of Lyons Hunter Media Group, LLC.
- Brenda Jegede, Manager, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- Mia Lewis, Audit Manager, Ally Financial Inc.