Research Assistant – Manufacturing, Engineering, and Technology (MET) Group
The Center for Automotive Research, a nonprofit research organization based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, has an opening for a Research Assistant working in support of CAR’s manufacturing research group. Under general supervision, this position is responsible for participating as a research assistant on a variety of research activities focusing on the automotive industry. This is a part-time position (up-to 20 hours per week) for the 2018 winter term, and may continue during the 2018 spring and summer terms as a full-time position (up-to 40 hours per week). Hourly rate: $13.00 – $18.00, depending on experience.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collect, organize and maintain data
- Conduct library and electronic searches and prepare abstracts of key sources
- Participate in project meetings
- Participate in interviews of automotive design engineers
- Develop cost/benefit analyses between different design alternatives
- Conduct additional research project tasks as directed
- Prepare results, including tabular and graphical presentations
- Under direction, visit manufacturing facilities and develop process flow outlines
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s (in second year or above) or Master’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical/Automotive engineering preferred)
- Fundamental accounting knowledge
- Knowledge of computer systems, especially MS Office
- Experience with data entry and management
- Familiarity with industry data resources and Internet search engines
- Interest and/or familiarity with the automotive industry
Topical Areas – Work at CAR will focus on the following areas – among others:
- Lightweight design alternatives using different materials and manufacturing processes
- Part fabrication and assembly processes
- General engineering and manufacturing technology
- Automotive business models
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Angie Ely at email@example.com. The deadline to apply is February 18, 2018.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, height, weight, marital status, protected disability or other characteristic protected by law.